Digital Signage for YMCA and the Drupal role
The YMCA of the Greater Twin Cities is currently building an Internet of Things. As part of this project, we are assisting them in developing an omnichannel system for managing content that includes both marketing material and data from third-party systems across digital signage, web, and mobile experiences. In this system, we are using the Open Y Drupal distribution to serve as a proxy between resources that provide data about scheduled activities and to manage that content as well as to supplement it with both marketing content and time and location sensitive messaging.
In this session, I will cover a number of issues that we faced during development.
Our integration uses the following 3rd party services:
- GroupEx Pro - a private, web-based communication portal for group fitness programs
- ScreenCloud - an online platform which allows us to manage content on screens easily.
I will discuss:
- Business goals and Use Cases - The YMCA is an evolving organization with a wide variety of needs, from member services to marketing, to wellness promotion. With a new facility and new capabilities, we can only predict a portion of the messaging needs that the Y will have in-branch.
- Architecture - Because of the fundamental lack of control we have over third party services, a strong, flexible architecture that can cover a wide variety of use cases and adapt to changes in data format and service availability is necessary.
- Implementation - I will demonstrate how everything comes together and show what you need to implement it, add your own features, and adapt it to new use cases.